Thursday, May 30, 2013

Funny Conversations

Children's conversations can be quite entertaining. With our lives being so busy all the time, as parents we don't take the time to truly appreciate our children. Take a moment and have an entire conversation with your children. It might amaze you at how intelligent, creative and funny kids can be. Let me brighten your day with a few conversations that I have had with my children. I have a 3 year old son that is all boy, his name is Tre. When driving, a lot of times I leave off the radio just to talk to my kids. One day on the way to Preschool, out of the blue my son says, "Mommy, I like to fart." My initial reaction was that farting is disgusting and that I can't believe my husband is teaching him that it is funny. In all honesty, farts are funny to everyone as long as your not the one smelling it. So, I replied, "That is kind of gross. Why do you like to fart?" Tre, as innocently as a 3 year old can, says, "Because, I fart in my bedroom, I fart in Meena's bedroom, and I fart in Daddy's bedroom. I like to fart!" Though this is not the most profound conversation, this little boy put a smile on my face.

Procrastination is my middle name and though I try to teach my children differently, I always seem to be helping daughter, Mileena, memorize her bible verses on the way to church. I am very fortunate in the fact that my daughter is very advanced and is able to memorize them in the 45 minute car ride. What I did not realize though is how smart Tre is. Being the second child, I did not take the time to teach him things as much as I did with my daughter. When Mileena got stuck on a verse, after a moment of silence, Tre starts to say the verse. Let me be clear, it was not just a verse, it was a Psalm of David and is 6 verses long. I was amazed at how he retained the information when I thought that he was not paying attention to either one of us. 

Take the time to converse with your children. While driving, turn off the radio. When tucking them in bed, stay a little while and ask them questions. When you ask questions, listen intently and ask questions to go deeper into the conversation. I think that too many parents do not really know what is going on in their children's lives. If you start the communication when young, they will continue to talk as teens. They just might teach you a few things along the way. Did you know that Pandas are not bears, but infact are related to racoons? If you did, you are one smart cookie. I did not know that. It was Mileena that taught me that information. Children will open your eyes to a whole new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment